Home » Departments » Conservation Commission

Easton Conservation Commission



2011-11-07 12.05.24

524 Depot Street Master Plan Development Team Forming - clear here for more information

The Natural Heritage and Endangered Species Program
of the Division of Fisheries and Wildlife issued a draft of the 14th edition of the Priority Habitat Map. The public comment period closed on June 3, 2017.

What are wetlands anyway?
click here to find out why wetlands are important and why they need the level of protection afforded by law and regulation.


 Name     Position               Term Ends:            
 Stefan Cautino  Acting Chair  June 30, 2018
 Daniel Farren  Member  June 30, 2019
 Michael Goodman  Member  June 30, 2019
 William Humphrey             Member  June 30, 2020
 Rory Kallfelz  Member  June 30, 2020
      Thanks go out to Timothy McCaul and Mark Hannigan for their years of dedicated service.

Associate Members
Christopher Patrick 
 Jonathan Chace



Andrea Langhauser, Assistant Planning Director / Environmental Planner 

Mary Guiney, Principal Clerk

Projects permitted by or currently being reviewed by the Conservation Commission may be viewed online by clicking here.  Remember to turn off your pop-up blocker to view documents attached to the projects.

For detailed information on how to file and what happens during the hearing process, go to our Applications page or our Meetings and Public Hearings page.


Conservation commissions were established in 1957 under Massachusetts General Law which gave the cities and towns the authority to promote, develop and protect natural resources, including wetlands. An integral part of the Easton’s Department of Planning & Economic Development, the Conservation Commission administers and enforces state laws and town bylaws affecting wetland resources. The Commission owns and manages over 3,000 acres of open space in Easton and works with individuals and groups concerned with natural resource protection.

For information and locations of Easton's Conservation Land, click here.

Under Massachusetts law (Massachusetts General Law Chapter 131 Section 40), and Chapter 227 of the Easton Bylaws, the Commission has jurisdiction over activities which will alter wetlands and/or the buffer zone extending from wetland resources, as defined by these regulations. If you are planning a construction project, landscaping, earth removal or grading on your property, you should contact the Commission to determine if you need a permit from the Conservation Commission. 


Poquanticut Ave

When do I contact the Conservation Commission?


  • BEFORE digging a hole, cutting down a tree, building a wall, putting in a walk or altering landscaping in any way, regardless whether or not there is an obvious wetland or water body on your property


  • BEFORE constructing a driveway, deck, pool, shed, fence, swing set, septic system or home addition


  • BEFORE filling any body of water, including the low spot in your yard that collects water


  • BEFORE YOU START WORK, even if your land is not designated as “conservation” land


  • TO REPORT a violation of the Wetlands Protection Act


  • IF YOU WOULD LIKE TO DONATE land or place a conservation restriction on your property.